Thursday, September 5, 2013

Rich Roll podcast...

I listen to a lot of podcasts and as I am pretty boring they tend to
be about football and running (I also like the infinite monkey cage
which is a science one so I'm not that boring).

The Rich Roll podcast is an interesting one for me as I listened to
the first couple and didn't really get what they were talking about. I
understood it but it didn't feel like it was something that could ever
apply to me or my world. I still get that sense of it in some ways but
it is changing and that is down to the people he interviews and the
passion with which these people communicate. What I initially
interpreted as being "preachy" really isn't. I, after all, choose to
listen or not.

Last week he had the fruitarian ultra runner, Michael Arnstein, and
then this week Joe Cross. What's remarkable about these episodes and
the podcast in general is that I find it impossible not to be
motivated in that moment by what I am listening to.

Today, for example, I was at the train station listening to Joe Cross
talk about juicing for 60days as part of a reboot. I am at the time
looking for some food to eat on the train ride home. Look around,
there's a burrito bar, a yo-sushi, a boots, sainsburys, Marks and
Spencer's, a couple places selling baguettes and bagels, a McDonald's,
a costa coffee, a couple of bars and a place that's a bit like pret
selling pastries, sandwiches etc.

The majority of what I can see and purchase easily is highly processed
food, carb and fat high and by virtue of being processed, down the
food chain. As an example of what this means from a nutrient
perspective is it better to eat an apple or eat an apple pie? An apple
is the answer, fresh and nutrient rich. Once processed it changes and
that nutritional value diminishes. We all should know and realise
that.

Similarly we all know that a latte is too many calories and a
McDonald's could easily be all your calories for the day with very
little nutritional value save for the gherkin.

So faced with some of western cultures finest fast and convenient food
but with Rich Roll in my ears what do I buy?

A bottle of water, a fruit salad bowl, a few fresh apricot and a small
packet of dried cherries and almonds.

Now I generally do eat healthily but I do like what constitutes bad
food too. I am also weak about it, but you try buying it with a 100%
plant based athlete extolling the virtues of his diet and talking
about his achievements in your ear.

Pretty impossible!