Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ultra Training in Numbers

Next Saturday 29th March) is the Born to Run ultra. I've been training
for this for the last few months following a 50 mile schedule. It has
proven to be an excellent plan that I have used more as a framework
than rigid plan. It has enabled me to build to long runs beyond
anything I've done before and feel stronger and more durable than
ever. So here are some numbers....

21 - the number of weeks I have been training with structure. It
started on 4th November with a 6.5 mile run.

1 - the number of weeks i miscalculated my schedule by. I needed to
add an additional week for 3rd March as just plain omitted it.

832.32 - the number of miles run in training. There's still a week to
go but this is super-taper time and will be barely any miles. That's
an average of 39 miles a week.
Link to my training plan...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgHDVgJDV60HdFFUUE9wcE9EQ0tqUHpkUy1zV3oxZ1E&usp=docslist_api

2 - number of marathon distance runs completed before going to work.

59.4 - the most miles I ran in a single week.

30.9 - the most miles I ran I a single run. Cheltenham to Cirencester and back.

47 - the number of miles I am short of in my actuals versus planned/
schedule. A little over 2 miles a week discrepancy.

Friday - the day in which I ran most training miles, 196.5.

1 - pair of Hoka's (Stinson Tarmac) that I have pretty much destroyed
through training and will be replacing post race.

Podcasts - 42 guardian football weekly, 21 The Game, 10 Talk Ultra's
and a smattering of Ultra Runner, Trail Runner Nation, Sunday
Supplement, Infinite Monkey Cage, Rich Roll and The Chels podcasts.

Audible - 2 books, Buddhism for Busy People by David Michie and
Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami.

6 - days until race day.

40 - miles to race next Saturday.