Wednesday, January 28, 2015

But that's further than a marathon?

I had a conversation a little while ago with someone that I work with.
I didn't know them very well and we were talking about what we were
doing that weekend while waiting for other colleagues to join us.
After listening to their weekend plans I said that I was running my
first ultra. This was met with a bemused look so I explained, anything
over marathon distance is called an ultra. The ultra I was talking
about was the 2014 Born to Run ultra at 40 miles.

There was then a strange exchange between the two of us that went
something like this...
- but that's further than a marathon?
- yes that's right, it's a 40 miler
- but a marathon is a long way?
- yes it is but there are longer races...
- wow so you're running a marathon?
- er yeah a marathon and then a half marathon...

She really didn't get it. To the uninformed and uninterested a
marathon is a long way and the longest you can run. It has a name too,
marathon. Not like an ultra that can be any distance. I actually think
she thought I was making it up. We were joined by colleagues and she
never mentioned it again and I didn't either. This blog aside I only
really talk about my running when I am asked. Mostly.

I've been thinking about this more recently as I have started work
with a new team and when they find out that I run to work and that I
run a lot at weekends they ask why? Not unreasonable. I explain that I
am training for a 50 miler and they shudder.

They cannot fathom it. They think it's a long way to drive let alone
run. Hell even cycling it is hard. They ask how far I run each week,
how far are long runs, what do you eat? It seems funny as running is
the simplest of sports, sure I have a lot of gear but actually some
correct clothing and shoes and you're good. I'm terms of simplicity it
doesn't get much more simple.

It's all about what you understand. I know nothing about a lot of
things and do turn my nose up at them as a result. Motorsport and golf
for example. You can probably add cricket to the list too. Oh and
professional rugby, i like watching my son play but that's as far as
it goes. People that get them understand the skill, effort, technique
and bravery involved. The training and practice that goes into each of
those sports.

Running, or even worse jogging, is seen as something you do to play
other sports. If you run then you must be a footballer? A hockey
player? Or any other field sport? I've seen t-shirts worn by runners
that say "my sport is your sports punishment".

No one runs for fun do they?

Well er yes they do - quite a lot of people as it goes. Races fill up
in record time, park runs across the country and world are achieving
massive attendance because people like to run and want to feel part of
a community.

Race for life started as a 5km event, now with women's running in a
real boom it's a 10km event. Half marathons sell out, marathons are
increasingly popular. Like the interest and participation in ironman
triathlon events people always look to push their own boundaries if
not the boundaries of a generation.

Someone running their first anything is a big deal, their first
marathon is a huge deal and pushes their boundaries of what they
thought possible. It is a unique experience in a shared environment.
Someone running a 200 mile race is pushing their own boundaries and
also opening a door to possibilities for every other runner out there.
Yesterday the couch, tomorrow a 5km but in 5 years who knows?

As the idea and imagination of what is possible extend and reach more
and more into the public consciousness so the understanding will grow.
I think people that know me think I talk about nothing but running and
I possibly do but only because they ask me.