Monday, November 20, 2017

WW50 Kit List

It’s been a while since I did an ultra, in fact this will only be my 4th event this year after the Cheltenham Challenge half, the 9-to-5 charity run and Boddington 50km. Even by my standards this is a slow year. 

I’m going to try and write a few blogs this week on the lead up to the event. 

For the approaching trail 50miler through Wendover Woods there’s a proper kit list. I will need to pack and prepare. For me this normally means a lot of disproportionate fretting. I really do over think this stuff. 

My kit list will essentially be...

  • Race vest (10ltr Salomon)
  • Bottles (x4) 2 in drop bag
  • 2xu shorts
  • Brooks shorts
  • Salomon jacket
  • Buff (x2) 1 in drop bag
  • Salomon beanie
  • Patagonia cap
  • Salomon Cup
  • Nike fleece top (in dry bag)
  • Petzls x2 + batteries
  • Run gloves
  • Buff beanie (in dry bag)
  • Adidas Terex
  • Salmon speedcross (in drop bag)
  • CEP socks x3 (1 in dry bag and one in drop bag)
  • Road ID
  • Run tops (tbc)
  • Gels etc plus some food in car to eat post race
  • Barrier cream (applied liberally at start and then in drop bag for emergency)

The route is 5 laps of 10 miles and has 9,500ft of gain and descent in total. I thought I’d done a good copy of this at the weekend with 10 miles through the woods and 1,500ft. This was hard enough and actually falls around 400ft short of a lap come race day. 

With a 15hr cut off it could be a looooooong day.