Sunday, November 26, 2017

Wendover Woods 50 mile

The WW50 race is the hardest run I have ever done. To call it a run, for me at any rate, is wrong. I walked a lot but was forced to by circumstance. That I completed it is quite something as there were points I didn’t think I would.

I’ll start with the main problem I had that nearly meant a DNF (Did Not Finish / Did Nothing Foolish / Did Nothing Fatal*). I am type 1 diabetic and was using an OmniPod insulin pump.

At mile 32 it alerted as it had stopped working. This meant no insulin being delivered. I had two choices, turn back and sort an alternative or continue forward. Turning back I knew would mean a DNF. The effort to get back to the start and go again would be too great. I decided to press on.

This meant that I was not getting any insulin so my blood sugars would be going up. I would be in this position for around 2.5hrs minimum. I made the decision to press on but to not eat anything and to only drink water. This would help if ketones started to build up. It also meant that energy would be an issue. No calories going in would be an issue but no carbs going in would keep my blood sugars from spiking.

The aid station was 3 miles or so beyond where I was so if things were bad by the time I got here I could get a lift off course.

I got to the aid station, checked my sugars . 11.1.

Not brilliant but not a number that meant I needed to stop. My bottles were replenished with water, I took an s-cap (salt tablet) and set off the 4.5 miles to the start/finish.

The s-cap was so that while drinking pure water, as opposed to tailwind, I didn’t deplete my sodium levels over the same period.

Walking again!

My thinking around only pure water was that no insulin would mean that as my blood sugars rose so might my ketones. As one of the thing you do once you start treating your ketones is to drink plenty of water I thought I’d pre-empt that. I also thought that my sugars maybe wouldn’t rise as much as if I was doing something sedentary as I was being very active.

I’m not sure of the correct term and I’m pretty sure it isn’t accurate but I’d say that my metabolism was in overdrive and maybe that would help?? That’s probably wrong and anyone that can point me at an article that could explain that would be great.

On my way to the start/finish I preoccupied myself with planning what I would do when I got there. Get my drop bags and give myself 1.5units of levemir and 0.5 units of novorapid. If my blood sugars had crept up then I might need to drop out of the race.

My plan and also excuse were set. I say excuses as I genuinely considered just dropping out. It was hard out there. Now it was also cold and dark. No-one would criticise me for dropping out because of my diabetes would they. It would be a get out that would go unchallenged.

But I figured out that isn’t me. The urge to quit was strong. I was tired, cold, hungry and in quite a lot of pain. The pain though was not dangerous pain. It’s pain that tells you you’re working hard not that something is broken.

As I got close to the start/finish line I knew I’d finish (blood sugars permitting). As much I was hurting I knew I’d regret a DNF even more. I also knew I wouldn’t take the soft option and hide behind my diabetes.

This is a new experience for me. I have not been pushed this hard and consequently have dug that deep.

I reached the start/finish at the end of my 4th lap. I checked my sugars and got my drop bag; my sugars were still at 11. I took this as a win. I injected as planned and set off again.

Walking.

Now my appetite was gone. I didn’t want to eat anything and couldn’t stomach it. Moving forwards. A blood sugar check showed it to be 6. I had to eat. I dug a flap jack out of my bag and kept walking.
I was now being over taken regularly although only on downhills. I was catching people up on the ups and they were disappearing from my view on the downs and flats.

At the aid station there were chips! Described by the people manning the station as ‘Luke warm’ they were the best chips ever! Restorative if only for being savoury after a day of sugar. I left the aid station walking up the hill. 4.5 miles to the finish with a lot of hills. I knew I’d get it done. I was still walking but I did just that.

I crossed the line having done it.

50 miles and close to 11,000ft of elevation and for the best part of 20 miles barely anything to eat.
I had dealt with a significant issue and dug deeper than ever. I won’t do that race again but I’m glad I did.
*delete as appropriate.