Monday, August 26, 2013

Time to Fly

I have started hearing more and more about a brand of shoes called Hoka One One. Listen to any ultramarathon podcast and there's talk of these shoes and that more and more people seem to be running in them. Particularly over ultra distances. What makes these shoes stand out is that they, seemingly, contradict all the current thinking for minimalist footwear as they have oversized cushioned soles. This is slightly deceptive though as despite a large outer sole they still only have a 4mm drop. It's like running in a platform shoe.

What really made me take note was listening the Rich Roll podcast about how he had crewed for Dean Karnazes at this years Badwater ultramarathon and that he, Dean, was wearing Hoka's. with Dean being the poster boy for ultra marathons this got my attention.

A quick look online reveals that they are expensive upwards of £125-150 a pair. Further research reveals that they have bearing for about a decade and are the creation of an ex-Salomon employee and an ultra runner. Good stock in my opinion.

Over the summer I was in Chamonix and in one of the many sports shops selling hiking and trail running gear saw a pair of Hoka's on the shelf. My first experience of seeing them in the flesh. They were massive but did not weigh anything like I was expecting when I picked them up. I stopped short of trying them on as new that would be fatal but my interest and appetite were whetted.

Returning home I continued sporadic research into the shoes and then tweeted "...someone tell me about @hokaoneone..." A response from a friend in London pointed me to a contact in Churchdown that has a pair, he offered to loan them to me so I could try before I buy. Amazing - how cool is twitter and the running community!

A quick drive to his house and I had a pair in my hands. Big foam filled and light.



That night I did try them on and actually wore them to walk the dog. The first thing I noticed was the rocker, you really can rock from front to back just stood. It feels pronounced as is so different from every other running shoe I have worn. They are also incredibly comfortable, incredibly soft on the outer sole but not clumsy. Although they are big and soft they do not feel like clown shoes.

I ran in them the following morning, 5.25 mile route that is pretty flat and mainly on asphalt although does include some field and trail type path too. 


The first 1/3 mile was difficult. I am a forefoot striker and struggled to get the feel of the shoes with that pattern. Once that settled the felt great. They were a bit heavier than a normal shoe but you quickly adapt to that. 

One stretch of the route is a length of road, Grovefield Road, that is slightly down hill, sweeps round to the right with then a slight incline. I absolutely flew around that bend, really motoring (as a Strava PB on that segment testifies) and my feet and legs felt great. It's not steep but I would say that I was really letting go with my running style whereas normally I run within myself particularly downhills. I rarely, if ever, extend my stride so that I am gliding or flying. I did I these shoes though and it was largely unconscious - it happened because it could. 

When I finished the route I looked at my garmin and the time was 37:45. That route normally takes me around 40minutes with a pack (as i had on that morning). 

So was it the new shoes?

It has to be to a certain extent. The first point is that they feel fast, they perform like a racing shoe. Despite the cushioning they're not spongy and don't roll. Responsive and fast. The rocket probably helps with foot turnover even as a forefoot striker, you can feel that although I should stress its not unnatural. The outer sole enables you to cruise over any terrain without losing that feel that you need to be sure footed.

There was one final test that I wanted to do before begrudgingly returning the to their owner. The Cheltenham Park Run. I did it a few weeks ago in my Brooks Pure Project shoes in 19:40, a decent time in minimalist shoe with minimal drop. 

So Saturday morning I rocked up to the 27th edition of the Cheltenham park run wearing the Hoka's but forgetting my barcode. That meant any time was not going to be attributed to me on the website. 

Setting off quicker that the last time the pace was high with some very fast runners in attendance. On a flat course with a mixture of grass, dry and wet Tarmac the shoes felt excellent on all but the wet Tarmac where they noticeably slipped a little. This was consistent and a little disconcerting but ultimately not a problem. 

I finished the course in 19:26 and 15th place. A PB by some 14 seconds. 



Was it the shoes? Not solely but the important thing is that they didn't slow me down. I went fast in them than in a minimal shoe that is known to be fast.

I am very impressed by these shoes and will be looking to get a pair when my road shoes I am in currently need replacing. As I look forwards starting my ultra training in November this year ahead of the Born to Run ultra in Wales this will put my feet in safe hands.