Monday, January 13, 2014

Imagine mixing your Novorapid and Lantus up....

My fear, spiders aside, is being given an injection that i don't know what it is or what it will do to me. You see this in films and TV shows, someone being drugged for no good reason. 

Every night at 8:30 i administer my slow acting insulin that lasts for 24hrs. Its a background insulin. Tonight the routine was no different, blood test (7.4mmol) and then insulin. Except that tonight i made a really stupid mistake and gave myself the fast acting insulin. 8 units of it. I rarely if ever use 8 units of fast acting, i just never need that amount. With the way i eat and my fitness levels i rarely use more than 6/7 units. So what to do.....

A massive bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes should sort it out and as i write this nearly 2hrs on my blood sugar is at 8.4mmol. I'l give it another half an hour to make sure things are ok before chalking it up to experience. I've never done this before and hope never to do it again. A stupid mistake that means eating (a lot) more when i really don't want to. It's lucky that i realised the mistakeor things could have been a little different. That amount of insulin unrecognised would mean, for me, the mother of all hypo's.