Sunday, March 2, 2014

Durable

I almost want to whisper it for fear of tempting fate. Maybe I should
have used a smaller font for the title. Obviously I don't believe in
fate we have to be responsible, largely, for what happens to us. If I
break down it will be because I have done something wrong.

Right now I feel really strong. My running has been incredibly
consistent and I really feel ready for the ultra at the end of the
month.

I made a cock-up with my training plan, missing an entire week from
the schedule, so this coming week will be a hard one with another
28miles or so at the weekend. Then it's a 3 week taper. Today's run
was 15 miles with a significant climb in there from the off. What I
did today though was experiment a bit on the downhill sections. I run
mid/forefoot striking which down hill is not that comfortable, your
toes jam into the toe box of the shoes and it feels unnatural. Plus I
am really slow at it.

Today I just let go and found myself heel striking and rolling
forwards. I say heel striking it was almost flat footed rather than
heel. It also meant that I could really feel the rocker my Hoka's
doing its job. The result was I really felt like I was flying down the
hills. As soon as it levelled off I reverted to my normal stride
pattern.

It really did feel awesome!

This is what got me thinking about my durability. I the 10 days
previous I have run every day including a run of 28.4 miles and
totalling around 100 miles. I get that this is not that huge, not at
all. But I am 43, have a job, a family and a dog! To get the time for
this is quite an achievement. That I am not suffering from it it is
quite another. I have talked before about running twice a day and
really cannot say enough how significant that this is to my current
level and how I can run.

I have never run as much or as far or as consistently. I have never
felt this strong or this fit. In the year since my knee surgery and I
have run just short of 1,500 miles and gone from 11st 9.5lbs
(160.5lbs) to 10st 11lbs (151lbs) and with 11% body fat.

The born to run ultra is on March 29th. I have entered ultra's before
- even this one of the first edition. But have never really come to
close to being able to compete or complete them as injury has always
taken hold. In the last three years an ACL reconstruction and a
meniscus tear have been the problems.

Injury free I can get there. I will toe the start line and give a good
account of myself.

I bloody love running.


Sent from my iPad