Thursday, March 31, 2016

Type 1 Diabetes on a multi-day ultramarathon

Mid-April I am planning on being part of a team that will be running the whole way from London to Cheltenham, this will be 138 miles over 4 days.

As a Type 1 diabetic I need to be more prepared and also the people that I am doing this with need to understand what i am going through. With that in mind I have produced a crib-sheet that I am planning to give to each member of the running team and also the support team so that when they encounter me they can help me to help myself.

Whilst I do not forsee an issues that does not mean that there may not be any. While I have run ultramarathons before I have never run four on consecutive days.

The following is what I am proposing supplying to each of the running and support team - it would be great if ou have any comments that you either post them to this blog or contact me via twitter to discuss anything you consider would be valuable to this....

=========================
Diabetes check List

I have type 1 diabetes which means i use insulin to control my blood sugar levels. I administer this via injection. There is a healthy blood sugar range which is between 4-7mmol. Below that is 'hypo' and significantly above that (around 14+) is 'hyper'. Both need treating although for this endeavour hyper is less problematic.

Without wishing to be patronising food increases blood sugar and insulin reduces it.

Diabetes plays tricks on your mind. Sometimes accepting that you are hypo or low is not easy. An intervention helps as it makes you have to say it out loud and deal with it. While i do not anticipate problems this is a checklist that can be used...
  1. How do i seem and sound?Indicators of low blood sugar are disorientation, slurred speech and short temper. Often diabetics in this state are dismissed as being drunk. If i seem drunk through this i am more than likely not!
  2. What is my current blood sugar level?
    Ask me to test my blood sugar and watch me as i do so (the healthy range is between 4-7mmol)
    • If it is below 4 i MUST eat sugar immediately - i will have a pack in my race vest and will also have given you a couple of packets to have to hand for this eventuality.
    • if it is between 4-7mmol this is good - i should eat something and then will be ok to continue. If it is towards the lower end of this scale i should gve it 5-10 minutes before setting off.
    • If it is above 14mmol i should administer a small amount of insulin (0.5 units)
  3. Check before i leave that i have sufficient food and gels for the next leg.
An issue is unlikely this is just an explanation of what i will need to be thinking about at each checkpoint or stop.
=========================
 
Thanks for taking the time to review this and if you have any comments or thoughts on the content please do contact me...