Saturday, August 13, 2016

Adidas Ultraboost Uncaged - Simply the Best!

I have been a fan of the Adidas Ultra Boost for some time and am on my 3rd pair of the originals. What I like about them, fit and comfort aside is that they are durable. The outer rubber really does last and unlike other brands where I struggle to get 500 miles out of a pair of shoes I can easily get upwards of 700 miles out of the Boosts.

When I saw that Adidas had upgraded the Ultra Boost to the Ultra Boost Uncaged I was pretty excited. For me, like many, the Ultra Boost is the perfect shoe. Admittedly I don't have wide feet so that really helps as it is quite a narrow shoe but it just works.

The Ultra Boost Uncaged looks similar yet very different. I have not read the specs but superficially the changes are a removal of the 3 stripes cage that was attached to the laces and secured the shoe. The main change though is the fit and entry to the shoe. There is now a gaiter/sock instead of a tongue and heel cup. It's a little like the football boots that the top players now wear with the sock piece.

Out of the box I was a little concerned about the sock as it looked like it might be quite high and also how tight would it be? I needed have worried - it's deceptive and sits just under the ankle bone perfectly comfortably. You wouldn't know it was there. It just sits there secure. The heel cup is also more padded inside than the previous Ultra Boosts.

The lacing system is different with eyelets woven into the knitted upper rather than being part of the previous cage. The three strips are now contrasting and on the front of the shoe.

Underneath the shoe looks the same. Full length Boost sole and the Continental rubber outsole.

I used these shoes first time while on holiday in Portugal. I got changed and put the shoes on, as I was walking around the tiled floor of the villa the shoes were squeaking. The grip is insane! The sound is like a car in a car park making tight turns where the rubber just grips the surface.

Out on the road these shoes were brilliant. As comfortable as any Boost I have worn, this really is a performant shoe. I have run Ultra's in Boosts and parkruns, they provide comfort and can be fast too. While on holiday I used them on tarmac, compacted sand, stony pathways and even 5 miles on a treadmill. They coped absolutely fine with this no problem. I wouldn't use these for a wet trail run but that's just common sense!

As a final endorsement when I got them out of the box and showed my kids they were in awe and talked about wanting a pair themselves. It was a little like in Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark when they find the Ark of the Covenant and just before things go a little Pulp Fiction everyone marvels at how beautiful it is.... it was just like that but without the bloodshed.

Great looking shoes, great performing shoes. I have had many false dawns with shoes where I say something like "I will only wear these from now on" only to change track as a problem emerges - with Adidas and Boost technology I will not change. These are my 4th Ultra Boosts and 6th pair of Boosts across the range.

Simply the best!