Saturday, November 25, 2017

WW50 - the morning of

I never sleep well before an ultra. It’s a bit like knowing you need to get up early to drive to an airport. 

Can you trust the alarm?

My room mate, Rob, doesn’t share this problem and is still sleeping easily. 

The alarm will go off at 6am then it will be breakfast and coffee. The plan is to leave here, the Premier Inn Aylesbury, at 6:45 for the 15 minute or so drive to the start. The race starts at 8 and in that hour it’s keeping warm that will be the biggest challenge. 

Temperatures are set to be low today, around 3c, but clear skies and no wind should make it pleasant enough.

Last night I was feeling a lot of nervous energy and excitement. Now I just want it to have started and feel much calmer. 

More than anything running is freedom; freedom from the demands of life, when you’re running that’s it. You’re just running. No emails, no meetings, no demands on you. It’s rare in the 9-to-5 to have quiet time or even just time to yourself. 

Running gives me that and today I have a whole day.