Monday, October 5, 2009

The journey of 800miles starts with a two mile run....

Monday 5th October - it is 18 weeks until the Thames Trot and the first day of my 18week training plan. Day 1 is a 2mile run which is easy enough, looking forward if all goes to plan I will be covering around 800miles (or 1,287km, or two pairs of running shoes) over the next 18 weeks. Looking at my schedule the high mileage weeks are around Christmas which will call for extra discipline and will power. A glass of red wine or a run in the cold and dark? 

I haven't entered the race yet and while I start training I will be doing further research into the whole Ultrarunning scene and the Thames Trot specifically. I am not sure what to wear for such an event, what to carry and so on. A quick glance at the ratings for the event on Runners World indicated that it was snowing or had snowed at last years race. Now I am thinking that 50miles is hard enough without the weather being bad too. I had not even considered what the weather will be like in February until I read that review. In some ways so long as it isn't wet I guess cold is ok as it could help with not overheating and it is sometimes easier to keep warm than cool. The flip side is that it could be freezing! 

I did the Mayhill Massacre last February and that was cold, wet and muddy. It was a great event, really well subscribed to and managed on the day, the distance is 11miles up over the Mayhill and then back round to the start via the logging trails. Logging trails which are foot deep tyre marks in thick clay filled with freezing cold, muddy water. The biggest problem on race day isn't keeping warm but more keeping your shoes on - no elastic laces at this race! At the finish I felt battered, because of the conditions, the run is only 11 miles but is so demanding due to the terrain and conditions. At least the Thames Trot is a flat course! 

Another consideration I have for the Thames Trot is my diabetes. This is also the biggest concern for my family who are asking questions as to how I will control this during such an event. The answer right now is that I don't know. Well actually I have an idea but the fact is that over the next few weeks I will learn how to control it. Since being diabetic the largest event that I have done is a half marathon and a number of Olympic distance triathlons. In training so far I have run up to 15miles so just another 35 to consider! What I am saying is that as my body learns to go beyond what I am currently capable of I will learn how to manage my blood sugars. Currently I can manage for up to around 3hrs and so the same principles should apply beyond that. I will be carrying and using my testing kit on training runs and undoubtedly through the event itself. Along with a large supply of shot bloks and gels. 

What I will quickly understand is whether I am physically capable of such a feat and also whether I can manage my diabetes through these demands. I am looking forward to this immensely and even if I decide the Thames Trot is too far too soon I will learn a lot over the coming weeks. If that decision does come to pass there is a Plan B! The Gloucester Marathon in January and of course, the Mayhill Massacre again in February.