Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Forest of Dean Trailblazer - 22nd May 2011

This Sunday (22/05) is the Forest of Dean Trailblazer 10km. I entered it some weeks ago as a target for my running that was ramping up slowly following knee surgery. At the time I was running/walking small distances and struggling. When I entered I wasn't actually sure I'd make the start line that was how my legs felt.

Now that it is just a few days away I am actually disappointed that I have entered it as it seems a small distance. That's not being arrogant it's just a reflection that my progress has been far greater then I was expecting. I am regularly running 10-12 miles at a fair lick. I'm getting faster and stronger for definite. My horizons are further than a 10km and I am actually looking at this Sunday as an opportunity for a long run missed.

So on Sunday I will go for it, I have a target of sub-45 minutes with a stretch target of sub-42 minutes. I've done some speed work recently and been doing long runs at decent tempo so between the two should be achievable.

The last 10km I did, actually the last four 10km's I have run have been as part of an Olympic triathlon (three at Windsor and one in London). The best result being London in August 2009 where I did it in 00:38:34 (although I think that the distance was slightly under the 10km).

Quite funny at the weekend when I talked about this with Mrs. B, the conversation went something like this....

me: I have the FoD 10km this Sunday but am disappointed that I am entered into it as it doesn't feel like it's far enough.
Mrs. B: so why do it then?
me: well it was quite expensive to enter...
Mrs. B: so why not try to win it

If only it were as simple as that!