Friday, October 11, 2013

A change is as good as a rest...

Last Sunday, after the Devils Aquathlon, I had a pull in the hamstring
tendon of my right knee. Nothing major, I had actually been feeling it
for most of the previous week. It would be very sore to touch and a
bit stiff at the start of a run, then it would settle down and not be
any trouble. But with it being a problem I knew I needed to address it
as these things don't sort themselves on their own.

So this week I have not run. Not once. I've been cycling to/from work
and it has been great for my legs. My Achilles and calves have been
incredibly tight most days and my knee a little stiff too. While
running twice a day has been great it has obviously taken a toll on my
body.

As this week has moved on the tenderness in my hamstring tendon has
gone, my calves and Achilles are not sore or stiff and I still feel
pretty strong.

I'm not about to become a cyclist but I will take more rest breaks
during the week and cross train more by using the bike. This break has
been great but I can't wait to get back on the road.