Sunday, November 10, 2013

Ultra Training - Week #1

I started my training programme for the Born to Run ultra this week and have to say it's been an excellent first week. 

There's still a long way to go but this week I have been able to increase my mileage (I ran 43.3 miles), have an extra rest day (that was 2 this week), and not have any aches, pains or niggles. 

Coming into this week I was a little nervous as I have recently had a couple of twinges, first my left hamstring and then my right quad/hip. Rest, stretching and foam rolling resolved both and put me in good enough shape to start the programme, but still I was nervous about starting. Nervous as I was desperate not to break down. 

The programme was, starting on Monday; rest, 4 miles, 6 miles, 4 miles, rest, 16 miles and then 6 miles.

As I run commute I made the effort to run the distance in totality in the morning, choosing the 2.4 mile run home as a recovery session. That was fine for the first three runs. The 16 mile was a little different. I ran 13 miles in the morning and then just short of 4 on the way home. Putting me at over the distance for the day but not in a single run. I'm not sure how significant this is at this stage and I did surprise myself on my run home averaging 7:15 miles having run a 1:41 half marathon that morning. One factor here might be that I took some amino acids.

I have blogged before about trying using SciMX Amino Fusion on long runs. You take 5 pills 45 minutes before and then another 5 immediately afterwards. They assist recovery. I've not used them in a while but really think that they worked here. I certainly had no fatigue in the legs on the run home at all. 

Week #2 looks very similar to week 1 with the difference being that the long run is 18 miles. I have a route in mind that's around 15 or so miles so will probably run that in the morning and then do the just short of 4 miles home. The other change in week 2 is that I will miss the last scheduled run as I am out with some old school mates in Bristol for a big night out.

I love my running but life has to go on.....