Friday, January 30, 2015

Tapering

I have been tapering since Monday, it has been awful. My longest run has been a little over 4 miles and this week i have run 18 miles. I have had 2 days off. This morning i was run-commuting and felt awful. No rhythm, no zip or power, no flow. I felt really laboured and clunky. A bit like when you have a sports car that's used to being driven hard day after day, its tuned, ready and responsive. Stop driving it and maybe use it for a few miles on a weekend and ​​it's like a different car. Unresponsive, sluggish, slow to get going. 

I'm no sports car but that's how it feels. I'm really looking forward to Sunday morning and 10 miles. Next week is really low mileage week, obviously, so now, for me the race cannot come soon enough. Maybe that's what tapering is actually about, resetting the mind...