Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Thames Trot Preparation...

With the Thames Trot ultra now a mere 10 days away I am in that
frustrating period called taper. Low mileage and not much by way of
running. It's nice to have a break for a day or two but I know come
the weekend the planned 10 miles is not going to cut it with me.

Looking ahead to 10 days time I am fretting a little over what gear I
will need to wear. The lower half takes care of itself, 99% of the
time I run in shorts I don't see that this will be any different. I
also always wear calf guards and Inov8 socks. My shoes will be my
Adistar Boosts. So far so simple.

The doubt I am having is with the top half and how to keep warm? What
if it rains?

The forecast (on the BBC weather app) shows that currently on the day
before the race, as far ahead as it goes currently, it will be cloudy
and around 6 centigrade. Pretty good conditions and hopefully it will
be like that.

In preparation, over the last few weeks, I have experimented with
various combinations of clothing. Compression short sleeve under a
heavier running jersey. Two long sleeve thinner tops, a running gilet,
buffs, a running beanie, a cap and even both.

Then there's the rain? What if it rains? I have a Salomon s-lab
running jacket that's meant to be water proof and to a point it is but
not enough. I've even tried a merino wool cycling t-shirt under a
running top - that was way too uncomfortable.

Temperatures could be by then anything from minus 4 to plus 8 such is
the changeable nature of our weather. There could be wind and rain
maybe even snow! I can carry some gear in my race vest (Salomon s-lab
5ltr) but if it's wet there's the issue of how to keep that dry too.

I have a plethora of kit but cannot get my head around what I will
need to wear and carry come race day. I will likely be on course for
at least 8 hours. Should I carry some dry kit to change half way? As
performance deteriorates and movement slows will clothes damp with
sweat just serve to make me colder?

If the forecast remains as is I will probably go for a long sleeve
thin running top underneath the heavier running fleece style jersey,
with then a gilet (Haglofs) buff and hat. I will carry a spare thin
long sleeve top in my pack so that I can swap it half way. That should
help with warmth. As and if I warm up I will make sure to remove them
as I will definitely need them later in the race. The same will be
true of gloves, if I don't need the at the start there will be a pair
in my pack. I'll also pack my rain jacket that I can use later if I am
getting cold. They can be a bit boil in the bag but an additional
layer may be necessary at some point. It also has the advantage of
being able to fit over the top of my race vest making it easy to use.

To keep stuff dry in my pack, as much from sweat coming though as any
weather conditions I will use a plastic bag, roll my dry kit up as
tight as possible into a plastic back also rolled up and then added as
comfortably as possibly to the pack.

Mandatory kit is quite light, a compass, phone and head torch - I
think that's it. There will also be a map book/print-out.

There are a number of aid stations and checkpoints so fuel should be
fine. I will also be loaded up with gels and some bars and Clif
shot-blocks. I have come across a gel that I really like - made by
Cliff - called a shot. It's much thicker than a lot of gels and while
the taste is typical of that type of product the texture is much
improved being something you can almost chew. I have used them on my
last few long runs without issue. In terms of water I will carry two
half litre soft flasks on the front of my vest. I tend not to drink
that much when running in colder conditions but will make a more
conscious effort on a run such as this.

I'll also be carrying my blood monitor and insulin (for type 1
diabetes), I will need to keep track of my blood sugar and will test
at every aid station. I don't anticipate needing to administer insulin
but I need to be prepared. Consuming that much sugar may cause a spike
that will not do me much good. If I need anything it will be baby
doses to keep me on an even keel.

Writing this has been a useful exercise as in doing so I have ordered
my thoughts a little. I still expect that I will take a load of gear
and then get into a cycle of decide-change and decide again come race
morning. Like a teenager getting ready for a night out...