Friday, February 13, 2015

Thames Trot a week on...

A week or so after the Thames Trot and I've had time to digest and reflect a bit....

First thing is I had my hip checked out, diagnosis is a strained symphis pubis ligament (http://www.caringmedical.com/treatment/pubic-symphysis-injury/). Nothing too serious at all. I ran on Tuesday, a couple miles on a treadmill and again today with 5 miles over two runs on my commute. While not quite full of beans I am fine.

I've been thinking about how underwhelmed I was when I finished the race last Saturday a lot and spoken to a couple of people about it as it was bothering me. I felt like I was being ungrateful when I really wasn't. I think it comes down to a couple of things. 

1. I wanted to race. 
I didn't think I'd win or even come close but I wanted to race. I wanted to do the best I could. I wasn't able to do that so never left it all out on the course, never buried myself to do the best I could. When I crossed the line I was fine. Sure I was tired and sore but actually very well.

2. I executed the plan.
I had a training plan, I followed it, only dropping 47.47 miles over the 4 months (I love that it was 47.47) and so on race day was able to do my thing as per the plan until I fell and then just couldn't. 

Those are both positives and enable me to look forward with some confidence. I ran 50 miles. In less than 10hours and was able to manage my body through 28 miles on some horrible terrain. I stayed calm, in the moment and just got in with it. I could have lost it with myself, I could have withdrawn, or dnf'd but I didn't I saw it through. I'm proud of that. 

Looking back on the race there's some things that really have come back to me...

The course..
I enjoyed the course, despite the mud, the opening few miles on the frozen trails were great, some of the villages beautiful and the bridges with 5p car tolls - seriously - just seem crazy! The section through the woods with the stairs cut into the hill was a welcome change. Running through the streets of Reading was surreal after so long out in the peace. The bridge at the finish in Henley was incredible (even though it was dark). There was a moment where running on my own I could hear behind me the honking of geese, it got closer and louder and a metre or two above the water flew a flock of around a dozen Canada geese. It was incredible.

The people...
Ultra runners are great, friendly, cool, with beards and happy to chat. I ran with a number of people all of whom were great. Running with Kirk was a highlight. The surreal moment was the Hull City fan. He came alongside me with his phone out, I had mine out but was looking up Henley on a map. He was checking the football scores. Told me that Ivanovich had scored a winner for Chelsea and that City had only drawn with Hull. That really gave me a lift and then he was gone.... I wonder was he ever really there?

The people extends to the race organisation and aid stations. Just brilliant. Beaming smiles, supportive and helpful. 

Mantra...
Karl Meltzer of Talk Ultra always talks about "doing his thing" - that was my mantra. With a plan to run 9min miles I kept repeating to myself "just doing my thing - just doing my thing" it worked. It kept me calm and very much in the moment. That was possibly the biggest learning point for me...I was firmly, unequivocally and totally in the moment. That was the best bit. I experienced every footstep, sight and sound as was not plugged in.


I was and am incredibly grateful to have been able to complete this race. It's an experience like no other. To be moving for that long, just moving, strips away all other thoughts. You are just moving, everything is focused on that. Once the body realises that it's remarkable what it can do. How quickly you can move and then when it's over how quickly it can repair itself. 

To be in the moment for that long, to enjoy that sense of peace and unspoken unity with those around you is not something I take for granted. 

I know I can do better than I did here but if I don't it won't be a problem. Just finishing is a victory and the journey is more uplifting and significant than the finish....